After thinking long and hard, I've come up with a few things I'd really like to focus on this year:
1. Number one on my list is to look at the bright side. I think between the short days and pregnancy hormones, I've been a little negative and down in the dumps lately. I was really feeling down about going back to work - I love my job, but waking up early is not my cup of tea and I was really enjoying my time home over the holidays with my family. In the end it all comes down to the fact that I don't want to go through life that way, so I'm going to choose to focus on the positive and try to keep a smile on my face. I did really well yesterday and today, although last night I'll admit I got a little down when I couldn't fall asleep. I think tiredness really sets off my negativity. Maybe along with this goal another one should be to get more sleep!
2. SAVE. Money that is. We were doing really well, but then the holiday season hit. It seems that no matter how much I save and budget I always end up spending more than I'd like. In spite of that bump in the road I'm determined to get back on track with saving to stay home with the new baby. My goal is to stay home for over a year. I won't get paid for any of that time, so having a nest egg is a must!
3. Be more organized. Sometimes I feel like my life is like a moving freight train and I just can't keep up. I'm tired of playing catch up. This year I want to I want to take control of things and try to be one step ahead with better meal planning, a cleaning schedule, a better bedtime routine, etc.
Going along with that I really need to get on top of our laundry situation. Last year one of my resolutions was to immediately put away laundry (to keep from looking like a hoarder. Seriously - sometimes it seems like there are mountains of clean laundry filling our entire bedroom). Well, that goal never really worked out last year but I'm determined to make it work this year. We've decided to make it into a game and have 'family laundry time.' We all fold the laundry together and each take our own pile (well Violet takes a little of hers and we take the rest) up and put it straight into our dressers. Violet seems to really like it so far - hopefully that will stick!
4. Be a better friend. After working all day away from my little girl, I really just want to come home and be with her. I realize though that I really miss seeing my friends and that being away from the babe one evening a month wouldn't hurt her or me. My plan is to make a date each month with a couple of my girlfriends for dinner, a movie, or just some time to chat. I also want to try to help out my friends who are either single mamas or new mamas. Maybe offer to babysit or bring them a hot meal. And birthdays - I'm the worst! I'd love to send out pretty cards in the mail - so much better than a message on Facebook.
5. Tie up loose ends. We have so many unfinished projects around the house it's kind of ridiculous. I'd like to choose one thing for us to focus on each weekend and force myself not to start anything new until the current projects are taken care of.
So there you have it! Five goals for the new year. Five sounds like a nice, round, manageable number, right? Wish me luck! xo, Lauren